Two installation experiences on Windows

Windows 10

First I tried to install in my base conda environment on Windows 10 64-bit. It could not be installed due to package conflicts and it tried many different things to resolve the conflicts, grinding away at the CPU for two hours, and eventually I killed it.

Then I created a new environment specifically for PySpice and installed it:

conda create --name pyspice
conda activate pyspice
conda install -c conda-forge pyspice
pyspice-post-installation --install-ngspice-dll

This last step did not work, however, because it required the
requests library:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'requests'

So I then did

conda install requests
pyspice-post-installation --check-install

And it worked. I reported the dependency problem here: https://github.com/FabriceSalvaire/PySpice/issues/266

Windows 7

Now I’m doing the same procedure on a Windows 7 machine (I know, I know, it’s obsolete). The install command showed no errors on the command line, but I did get a pop up error:

python.exe - System Error

The program can’t start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

OK

I haven’t seen this error before, but the install command worked so I’m ignoring it.

Then I try

Ah, now I’m getting the same error:

The program can’t start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

OK

and if I run the check:

pyspice-post-installation --check-install

I get the same error dialog:

OK

Tried System File Checker:

λ sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Searching my machine, it does not have api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll anywhere. Maybe this is a Windows 10 file only. (Nope, not present on Windows 10 machine, either.)

Trying to install jupyterlab also doesn’t work well. Does PySpice have some weird requirements/dependencies that prevent conda from installing it alongside other things?

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.

Oh if I do it as conda install jupyterlab voila instead of using conda-forge, it works fine

To clarify, installation works if I combine conda-forge and default repos:

conda install -c conda-forge pyspice
conda install jupyterlab voila

But the program itself doesn’t run in Windows 7, which appears to just be an incompatibility with the OS: